Saturday 21 March 2015

When "African Literature" means "Don't Bother"

So, yes, Wasted has at long last reached the shops. 
    It’s not a very long book, or very thick, but I’d like to think that intensity trumps size every time. Besides, it took me a whole long time to write, even longer for my publisher to read, and months to edit, proofread and print. Make it about two years for this process.
    The first time I held the finished article in my hands was half an hour before the launch event. This skinny, ink-smelling, papery thing made me come over all mushy, and I had to find a quick glass of wine to quell the emotions before I could sensibly discuss it with John Maytham.
    The following weekend, I did what I suspect many authors do.
    I turned into a stalker. A voyeur. A benign Peeping Tom. Creeping in happy anonymity around bookstores to see whether they’d ordered my book, and more importantly, to see how they were “merchandising” it, as we advertising people call it.
    And just like last time, I found it in the “African Literature” section, where it had cleverly been denied any chance of visibility by being placed under “W”, which is approximately where my right shin would have found it, if my right shin had eyes.
    I went to the front of the store to inspect the “New Arrivals” shelves. Among the dozens of “international” authors, Suzanne Collins had a double-billing, there was something soggy by E.L. James, and I spotted a new fantasy thing by someone called Sarah J. Maas.
    No Wasted

    Or any other work by a South African author.
    I went back to the “African Literature” stand and put on spectacles that were a little less self-centred.
    Under “B” was Lauren Beukes. Okay, so she hasn’t yet won the Booker or a Nobel prize. But she’s won the Arthur C. Clarke Award for Science Fiction. She’s had Stephen King sing her praises. I believe she’s had a book optioned by some Hollywood bigshot, and that she has a worldwide TV series on the cards. 

It was cute to see J.M. Coetzee’s works lined up next to Ms Beukes’. A Nobel winner, a double Booker winner, he’s been, if I remember correctly.
    And there my book was, rubbing shoulders on the bottom shelf with Ivan Vladislavić, who has just been awarded the 2015 Windham Campbell Prize by Yale University.
    It’s great company if you can get it. Yet, not one of these enormously commended authors had a single work on the actual “Fiction” shelves. And nor did any of my other compatriots, stuffed together as we were, spine out, on our own little lopsided island in the corner.


I asked a passing employee where I might find the Scandinavian and Australian Literature sections. She looked at me as if I might bite her on the ankle, so I explained that I was looking for a), a twee story about an old man who jumped out of a window and b), a maundering lecture on Australian politics masquerading as fiction. She gave me a nervous grin and scampered off to help build a gigantic paper idol to Jeffrey Archer or David Baldacci or someone in the front window.
    Because that’s the point, isn’t it?
    How logical is it to categorize books by the nationality of the people who wrote them?

    It’s like holding an athletics event only for athletes with red hair, establishing a soccer club purely for players who like liquorice, or broadcasting a talent show solely for people who are allergic to bees.
    I draw these parallels because writing, too, is a competition. Even the most minor of South African writers (ahem) competes with the biggest international authors for what advertising people call “share of mind”. And as the old cliché goes, “Out of sight....”

I don’t really buy the commercial argument either – that popular authors sell better, and therefore will make more money for the retailer if they’re displayed front and centre. I’m sure a customer would ask after the latest Dan Brown if she can’t find it on the shelf – but she’s hardly going to ask for the latest Mark Winkler. She’d have to know about Winkler’s book to ask, wouldn’t she? And how could she, if it’s been banished to the African Literature stand – a stand that may as well be covered in biohazard symbols, festooned with quarantine flags, or on fire.
    I don’t see an “African Literature” section doing very much to promote African (or South African) authors.
    It’s only announcing, loud and clear, that African literature is somehow second rate, a curiosity to turn to on the rarest of occasions (like pig’s trotters or escargot), and that African writers simply aren’t good enough to rub shoulders with the rest.
    Sarah J. Maas se…

4 comments:

  1. I sympathise Mark. Same thing happened with my novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO TRUE. I hate how Westernised our book shops are. When I travel, I make a point of visiting bookshops, and in all other countries I have visited (China, Japan, Vietnam, Myanmar, Mauritius, Morocco, Spain, to name a few) the bookshops give a special spot to their local authors. I want literacy and creativity and READING to be bigger in South Africa, and that means giving people stories that they can relate to, but our bookshops aren't doing ANYTHING to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a way, yes…
    But imagine : you're a French painter coming to South Africa for an exhibition of your work. It's your first time in Africa. Everything to discover, see, taste, smell, touch … A voracious reader you look for the way you prefer to enter a new territory, try to understand it, become a little part of it : literature. Maybe it was in Joburg, the airport bookstore, while waiting for a fligt, or in the Rosebank mall, the one with the coffee shop at the front, where a delicious shoot of cafeine can accompany the reading of the first pages, or maybe it was in Cape Town, near Young Blood Gallery, or in that little charming book place, near Plett, smelling of wood and sea, or maybe was it later during your trip, in Gaborone's Riverwalk bookshop… Sure thing, your book was in the African fiction shelf. Each time I went to a bookstore I headed directly to it and found exactly what I was looking for : African voices. I came back with a bag full of them and enjoy now letting them out, one after the other, letting them sing their African and universal songs.
    I'm sure I would have missed some of them, maybe all of them, if they had been busy rubbing shoulders with the « biggest international authors », lost in the middle of the abundance of English literature, translations, competing with -but more surely drown by- the Maas...sive choice...
    So, in my way, I say thank you to the African fiction shelf that has allowed me to discover you and other African authors, allowed me to read and be delighted by 61,217 words and counting ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Christine - thanks so much for your comments. I'm delighted that the African Lit section worked for you, but then, you're the exception rather than the rule. I think most SA authors would agree that, coupled with the very limited support of local booksellers, having an Afr Lit section means that they are excluded from the exposure of "real" writers. The signal to the SA reading market is that local writing is second rate. So pleased you're enjoying Wasted!

      Delete